5 Rules of Successful Targeting
By Viktoriia Dorofeieva
Targeting is a strategy that divides a large market into smaller segments to concentrate on a specific group of customers within that audience. It shows to the target audience regardless of whether people are looking for this product now or not. Future customers may not know about the product at all, but this group of people is potentially interested in it. So, these people are interesting to you.
The purpose of targeting is to reduce advertising costs, make advertising campaigns more effective through the target audience.
To set up targeting, you initially need to determine which audience exists, then identify the audience on which it is best to focus and eventually optimize the advertising campaign for the target audience. You can also create separate campaigns for different segments. Marketers can do market segmentation using their database to make the right offer to the right people at the right time.
Varieties of Targeting on the Internet
- Selection of advertising platforms. The most popular type of targeting. It is carried out by selecting advertising sites so that their visitors match the target audience.
- Thematic targeting. Showing advertising on websites corresponding to a certain subject.
- Targeting by interest (contextual advertising). Showing advertising under the interests of visitors to the advertising site.
- Geographical targeting (geotargeting). The display of advertising to the target audience is limited to some geographic region chosen by the advertiser.
- Local targeting. Display of advertising to the target audience within a radius of 900 meters to 15 kilometers.
- Targeting by display time (morning or evening, weekdays or weekends). Allows you to limit the display of advertising by the time during the day, week, year.
- Social-demographic targeting – by age, sex, income, position, etc.
- Behavioral targeting. The most promising direction for today. Its essence is the introduction of a mechanism for collecting information about user actions through cookies. The information is collected in the so-called profiles and contains data about the sites you have viewed, search queries, purchases in online stores, etc. Having received such a profile, the advertising service can imagine a portrait of an object, learn its habits and preferences, become the owner or contact information.
- Geo-behavioral targeting. The concept is first mentioned by AlterGeo. The essence comes down to the fact that knowing about the subject’s movements (exact location up to the place where the subject is located) and stops (“marks”, “checks”, or “check-ins”) in some points, you can imagine the subject’s habits and preferences.
5 Rules of Successful Targeting
Fill your group and website with good content
A frequent mistake of beginners – the launch of targeted advertising in an empty group. Imagine yourself in the user’s place. You clicked on a cool offer, but instead of an interesting community or site, you see a group with three posts or a terrible landing. First: you spent money to attract a user, but lost a potential client, and second, which is probably the most negative: you missed the opportunity to create a positive first impression on the audience. Create a unique design on your website, so that the user will be interested in joining them.
Set a budget limit
Be careful. Inattention can end badly, namely, and with unplanned expenses.
Often, after the first attempts to independently adjust the targeting advertising and spending money in vain, most entrepreneurs abandon it, because “it does not work”. In order not to dash hopes at the very beginning of the way set the limits of costs. Remember: in Internet advertising, a large budget does not guarantee a great result.
But if you approach expenses wisely and set up advertising correctly, everything will work out.
Reward the user for the action
Do you want a user to join a group? Give him/her a discount, offer him/her a cool promotion, invite him/her to take part in a contest.
Do you have a news community? Then show in your advertisement the news that may interest the target audience. You can also tell us that you place such content regularly.
Going through an advertisement and joining a community is, to some extent, the work that the user has done. And without giving anything in return, do not expect anyone to join your community.
Examples of values for advertising:
- Join a group and get hot offers every day;
- Join a group and get discounts when ordering;
- Sign up and get the latest news every day;
- Join a group and get free delivery;
- Get a bonus for an attracted friend;
- When buying a branded mini gift.
Retargeting is a display of advertising to an audience that has already interacted with your business. There are two types of retargeting:
- Showing advertising to all visitors of your site. Install a special code on your site – (“pixel”), and if a person has been on your site for 28 days, he will catch up with our “special” advertising. Haggle, send a discount if he does buy from you. For users who still choose where to buy goods or plan to use the service, a reminder about you will allow you to tilt the scale in your favor.
- If you have a ready-made database of customers, which has at least one of the following parameters: phone number, id, or email, you can set up targeted advertising for this audience. Such advertising will be much more effective in comparison with advertising for a new audience.
Do not obtrude
When setting up an advertising campaign you can set the frequency of displaying ads from 1 to 5 times per user. But. No one likes too intrusive advertising. It’s optimal to show an ad 2-3 times for the very first launch of an ad and 1-2 times for a repeat ad. If you show up too often, users will start complaining about ads. You risk not only losing your audience but also getting under the ban of social network moderators. It is better to show the ads again in two weeks.
More information about earning money on the Internet you can find here.