Use TikTok To Your Advantage Now!
By Chin-Undram Odsuren
TikTok is not just lip-syncing app teenagers spend their free time on anymore. It is now the seventh most downloaded app of the 2010s with one billion annual active users and it earned $1.9 billion in revenue in 2020. The numbers are impressive, and it has become a new hub for small businesses to promote their products and services at a low cost. According to this report, the highest percentage of users are 19-29 years old with 35% while teenagers take up only 28% of the users. Perfect demography to promote your products to! Now, let’s go and look at how you can use the ideal market to your advantage.
Get familiar with the app first
Don’t worry if you are not too comfortable with the new app! TikTok organizes these workshops called Small Biz Block Party for US-based small businesses. Suppose you are not a US-based business, no need to worry as well. Simply watching the videos will help you get the feel of it and you will be good to go in no time.
Open your account
While it may be an obvious step, it should not be overlooked. Here are some tips to make you stand out:
- Sign Up as a TikTok Business Account – you will find the extra benefits
- Use your authentic name and logo
- Connect all social media and websites to your account
- Create your own hashtag so customers can use it to tag you or find you later
- Follow similar brands and businesses to get the gist of how it works.
Start your creative process
There are some things to be mindful of to use TikTok to its full potential.
- Videos are for 15 seconds, a minute, and three minutes. Choose according to your needs. Generally, three minutes are used for long explanations to a 15 seconds clip while one minute can be used for introductions and such.
- Use trending songs and audios to attract larger audiences. Do not be afraid of being silly! That is the whole point.
- Be visually engaging and creative! You do not want to talk about your year-end financial reports on TikTok; this is a creative space!
- Get personal. How the business came to be, what it means to you, and how you are helping people. TikTok folks love personal stories! You can even show the behind-the-scenes of your daily business operations.
And finally, create a community
- Have a brand image on your page. Is it trendy? Is it informative? Do you have weekly fun rituals? Up to you!
- Reply to messages. Encourage people to duet to your videos.
- Reshare what your customers had to say in their videos.
If you are still not convinced about how useful this app can be marketing-wise, you can check out these Small Wins videos on TikTok where you will find multiple small businesses that got their exposure and are doing fantastic now. As you are aware now, consumer taste changed dramatically and it is vital to keep track of it. One way to do it is through the power of TikTok. Now, open your account and start creating!